By Babatope Babalobi
Today is Father’s day, and we shall be looking at Bible qualities of a good father, how to honour our father, deliverance from evil fatherly influence and our relationship with our heavenly father
Qualities of a good father
- A good father protects his children from danger, evil, and harm.
- Lot is not an example of a good father…he invited homosexuals to rape his daughters inorder to save his guests.
- My father shall not be my enemy in Jesus name
- Samuel 2 vs. 12 – Nowthe sons of Eli were sons of Belial; they knew not the LORD.
- A good father should bring us his children in the way of the Lord
- Eli was a Priest of the Lord. But Eli’s children were sons of Belial.
- May your children not become sons of Belial in Jesus name
- The two children of Eli- Hophni and Phinehas died the same day
- May you not see hear the obituary of your children in Jesus name
- The sorrow of the death of Elis children led his to death
- May your children not bring you sorrow in Jesus name
- You have a responsibility to bring up your children in the way of the Lord.
“Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.” (Proverbs 22:6)
- A good father is patient.
- Abraham slept with Hagar, his wife’s servant, because he and his wife Sarah became impatient waiting for God’s promise of a son through Sarah
- May fire of God kill your impatience in Jesus name
- A good father does not commit evil
- God give me a good father, not an evil father
- David committed adultery and murder and the evil followed his household even after his death – Absalaom his son rebelled against him and pursued him out of the throne, Adonijah tried to take throne from Solomon and Solomon killed him.
- Amnon raped their half-sister and is killed by Absalom.
- I will not suffer for the sins of my father in Jesus name
- I refuse to pay for the sins of my father in Jesus name
- You shall not pay for the sins of your ancestors in Jesus name
- Noah was a righteous man and blameless before God
- May you be the Noah of this generation in Jesus name
- Joseph the foster father of Jesus was described as a righteous man
- You shall be described as a righteous man in Jesus name
- You shall bestow righteousness to your children in Jesus name
Ephesians 6 vs. 4 – And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
- A good father loves his children
- He is not nasty towards the children
- Rebukes his children with the word of the Lord
- A good father takes care of his family
- “If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever” (1 Timothy 5:8, NIV).
- Holy Spirit make me a good father in Jesus name
- Holy Spirit make me a responsible In Jesus name
- My children shall not hate me in Jesus name in Jesus name
Honour your father
Exodus 20 vs. 12 –Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
- You honour your parents by obeying their instructions as long as the instructions are not contrary to the Bible.
- You honour your parents by respecting and recognizing them.
- You honour your parents by using your income and resources to care and support them.
- You honour your parents by not allowing them to suffer.
- Holy Spirit teach me on how to honour my parents.
- I decided a couple of years ago that a percentage of my income goes to my parents
- Some of us, the money we have given to others as gifts… Friends, colleagues, or even our Pastors, we have NEVER given 1/10th of it to our Parents who laboured for us, feed us, paid our bills, sent us to school, borrowed to feed us, took care of us when we are sick, prayed for us day and night etc
Exodus 20 vs. 12 – Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you.
- What does the scripture mean?
- Don’t bring the name of your parents into disrepute.
- Respect your parents.
- Recognise your parents. Don’t be ashamed of them in public places, no matter how poor or illiterate they may be.
- Acknowledge your parents through the work of your hands. Don’t forget to dedicate your books, works, etc to them.
- Give your parents a treat. Sponsor them on tourism.
- Greet your parents very well, every time that is necessary.
- Make your parents comfortable. Are you living in a mansion while your parents are living in penury? Are you driving a posh car while your parents are trekking?
- Obey your parents.
- Don’t forget the past labours of your parents on you.
- Give your parents gifts and offerings.
- Two years ago, I decided at least 2.5% of all my income goes to my parents.
- This year, I increased it to 5%.
- You can do better.
Cutting off evil fatherhood
- Some of us need to cut off from our father’s house
- If you father is not serving Christ then you have prayers to pray
- If your father is in secret society, occult, confraternity, or anti-Christ, then you have to pray hard
- Your not only need to pray from your deliverance, you also need to pray for their salvation
- It is possible that your father has covenanted you to Satan
- You need to pray and break every covenant made on your behalf by your parents
- Pray like this- I refuse to serve the gods of my fathers house
- I detach myself from the curses running in my fathers house
- Some of us need to completely separate yourself from our family before we can achieve deliverance
- Do you come from polygamous family? Then you have prayers to pray
- God told Moses to leave his people, his family, his blood relations, in order to fulfil destiny
Genesis 12 vs. 1– Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
gods of my fathers house, crying against me, be silence in Jesus name
- God is the original father
- Do you have a relationship with him
- Say this simple prayer to God
- Father Lord, I am a prodigal child accept me back with love in Jesus name
- Father Lord, I have sinned against him forgive me and accept me as your son
- Father Lord I have disobeyed you, forgive me and accept me in Jesus name
- Jehovah Lord, I accept your fatherhood
Babatope Babalobi: + 2348035897435 firstname.lastname@example.org
App for BB phones: http://goo.gl/HJcXqF
App for Android phones/iOS: http://goo.gl/bwCKv3
“If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever” (1 Timothy 5:8, NIV).
In many part of the world, this day June 15, 2008 is Fathers’ Day celebration for this year. While I congratulate all fathers throughout the world, I want to ask each one of us that is a father how responsible we are as fathers.
Modern civilization has made many fathers to shun their responsibilities as fathers. Some of such fathers want to have children, but they are not ready to play the fatherly roles in the lives of the children. Some of them do not have the time for their children.
The children cannot feel the impacts of such fathers in their lives. Some of such fathers do not want children, but they do not care impregnating careless women. Infidelity to marriage vows in the lives many fathers has been another cause of this. Misplaced priorities may cause this also. Whatever the cause may be, are you as a father responsible?
The Bible is full of how a father can be responsible and take care of his children. He is to instruct them (Proverbs 1:8; 22:6). He is to command them (Proverbs 6:20). He is to guide, encourage, and warn them (Jeremiah 3:4; 1 Thessalonians 2:11). He is to restrain them in doing nefarious things (1 Samuel 3:13). He is to punish them (Deuteronomy 21:18; Proverbs 23:13-14; 29:17; Hebrews 12:9-11). He is to be considerate of their needs and requests (Matthew 7:10). He should not provoke them, but instead bring them up in God’s way (Ephesians 6:4). He is to provide for their needs (1 Timothy 5:8).
How responsible are you as a father? Do you care for your children? Are they feeling your fatherly impacts in their lives? An earthly father is the best representation of our heavenly Father. How are you representing God in the lives of your children? Happy Fathers’ Day!
While I dedicate this message to responsible fathers worldwide, pray that as God remembered Abraham, Manoah, and Zechariah in the Bible, He will remember the waiting fathers who long to express their fatherly responsibilities to their own children also.
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).
+234 805 515 9591