By Babatope Babalobi
Listen to the audio sermon here
61And Jeremiah said to Seraiah, When you come to Babylon, and shall see, and shall read all these words; 62Then shall you say, O LORD, you have spoken against this place, to cut it off, that none shall remain in it, neither man nor beast, but that it shall be desolate for ever.
63And it shall be, when you have made an end of reading this book, that you shall bind a stone to it, and cast it into the middle of Euphrates: 64And you shall say, Thus shall Babylon sink, and shall not rise from the evil that I will bring on her: and they shall be weary. Thus far are the words of Jeremiah.
I am looking at a message which is titled: ‘Understanding the Spirit of Babylon’.
There are two separate references to Babylon in the Bible. There was the ancient kingdom of Babylon and the prophetic kingdom of Babylon. Why the ancient Kingdom of Babylon was founded by Nimrod and was once ruled by Nebuchadnezzar, the prophetic or mystical kingdom of Babylon is going to be inhabited by Satan and his demons angels in the last days, before it is judged by God.
A remarkable similarity between the ancient kingdom of Babylon and the prophetic kingdom of Babylon is that both of them are full of evils.
The book of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel and Genesis contained copious references to the ancient kingdom of Babylon while Revelation, chapters 17 and 18 has several references to the prophetic kingdom of Babylon.
Why do we need to understand the spirit of Babylon and pray towards overcoming it?
The Bible recalls various evils that were practiced in both ancient Babylon and the prophetic Babylon, unfortunately, most of these evil practices are still occurring in the modern day world.
What do we mean by the spirit of Babylon?
1. This is the spirit of sorcery that deceives all nations, Read Revelation 18 vs. 23. Babylon is the source of sorcery, divinations, talisman, and enchantments that deceives Kings, Rulers, and People in authority, celebrities, and even the common folk.
There is a reader of this message that is facing afflictions due to the power of sorcery working against him/her. Today I provoke the blood of Jesus Christ against every power of sorcery working against your destiny in the name of Jesus.
2. The spirit of Babylon stands for the spirit of idolatry that causes people and nations to create or construct graven images which they turn to their gods. It is that spirit that is prevalent in Asia where a country like India has over 33million gods. It was that spirit that inspired Nebuchadnezzar to construct an image and order every person to worship it. You can read that in Daniel 3 vs.1, Jeremiah 51 vs. 52.
In Africa, almost every family has a god with an altar or shrine dedicated to it. Unfortunately the gods are not dead, and wicked people are invoking their demonic powers to destroy destinies. Today, I silence every family idol crying against your salvation in Jesus name.
3. The spirit of Babylon is the power that is controlling political thrones in the world. It is that spirit that inspires people to have in ordinate ambition for political power, fame, and position. It is that spirit that decides who becomes what and where. It is that spirit that politicians make covenant with in order to assume powerful positions.
In Revelation 18 vs. 3, the Bible says that all Kings of the earth are committing fornication with the spirit of Babylon. It is that spirit of Babylon that causes political office holders to become selfish and seek only after their own good rather than the good of the people.
Several nations especially in Africa and Asia remain underdeveloped because the spirit of Babylon has ensnared its leaders. Europe and America is also facing crises because its leaders and people have abandoned God and embraced the spirit of Babylon.
God is looking for intercessors that will stand in gap for these nations and pull down all Babylon strongholds on all political thrones. I pray that you shall be one of such intercessors for Christ in Jesus. I pray that men after God’s heart shall rule the affairs of nations in Jesus name.
4. The spirit of Babylon is the spirit of the Anti-Christ; the Bible in Revelation describes the prophetic Babylon as a habitation of devil and the home of every foul spirit. The evil spirit and demons that afflict the children of God are usually sent from Babylon. Persecution of Christians is on the increase globally and this is a product of the spirit of Babylon.
Today, I arrest every evil power afflicting your spirit, soul and body. Your adversary shall be demoted and you shall be promoted in Jesus name.
5. The spirit of Babylon stands for the spirit of worldliness. The Bible says in revelation 17 vs. 4 that this is the spirit that influences people to commit various abominations. It is this spirit that causes people to chase after gadgets, obsessive fashion, ungodly movies, worldly music, reality shows, etc. It is that spirit that causes football to attract millions of followers and billions of viewership. When people talk about the god of soccer, they are knowingly or unknowingly referring to the spirit of Babylon.
Today, I pray for you and I cut off every habit in your life that does not glorify God and I pray that you shall receive a heart of holiness in Jesus name.
6. The spirit of Babylon is behind all the evils in the world such as sicknesses, anger, hunger, suffering accident, and poverty. At times, we ask why God allows evil to happen. It is the spirit of Babylon that influences temptations that leads to evil. Satan exists to tempt children of disobedience, and evil results as a punishment for all forms of ungodliness. As long as the spirit of Babylon exists, evils will continue to occur in the lives of as many that makes them its satanic laboratory.
I pray that you shall receive a new heart and a new spirit today, and the spirit to go and sin no more will overshadow you in Jesus name.
7. The Spirit of Babylon is responsible for the satanic prosperity experienced by many of believers, many people make covenant with the devil and in turn he gives them riches that do not last. Heavenly prosperity is all round prosperity including financial prosperity, health prosperity, marital prosperity, and spiritual prosperity. See Revelation 18 vs.3.
If you see anyone that is rich but he is not born again Christian, the source of his money is definitely satanic, and you do not need to envy such sinners, but intercede that they retrace their steps in order not to end up in hell. The wealth of God does not add sorrow, so wait faithfully and patiently for it.
I pray against any Babylonian spirit limiting your breakthroughs and saying No to your progress; and I push you to the River Jordan of your breakthroughs in Jesus name
8. The Spirit of Babylon is that queen of heaven sponsoring mermaid spirits to torment and afflicts believers. Do you come from a riverine community, is there a river or stream in your community that is worshiped, are you name after a river, or is your native town named after a river? You need to dethrone the queen of heaven, bind and cast out its water spirits, and command her/them to fall down and rise no more in Jesus name.
9. The Spirit of Babylon is responsible for witchcraft and sorceries used to manipulate the destiny of men and waste opportunities. Read Revelation 18 vs.23. Witchcraft spirit is particularly common in Africa and has wasted a lot of destinies. The Bible says that great men of the earth have been deceived by their sorcery.
I command the power of witchcraft over your life to be destroyed in Jesus mighty name. Receive the power to oppress and kill household witchcraft in Jesus name.
10. The Spirit of Babylon is responsible for persecuting Christians. The Bible describes it as being full of the blood of prophets and of the saints. Revelation 18 vs.24. Anywhere you noticed the persecution of Christians or the church; you need to put down the Spirit of Babylon that is responsible for this before the work of God will thrive.
11. The Spirit of Babylon is responsible for selfishness, greed, disobedience; it was that Spirit that influenced the people of the earth to build the towel of Babel in disobedience to God. The spirit of Babylon causes dissensions and disloyalty in churches, it is the ‘I’ spirit always wanting to put self above others, and it is the rebellious spirit promoting human wisdom above God’s wisdom
Now that we have come to a fuller understanding of the spirit of Babylon, how do you overcome it? Ten simple steps.
1. You need to become born again, read the word of God, serve God, and have absolute faith and trust in God as the deliverer.
2. You need to fast and pray especially at midnights as the spirit of Babylon is stubborn.
3. Flee siN, live right, and give not cause for the devil to accuse you.
4. You need to execute judgement to the Spirit of Babylon.
5. You need to put down its strong hold.
6. You need to rebuke it, bind, and cast it out.
7. You need to command it to be buried alive.
8. You need to command it not to rise again.
9. You need to command is glory to sink inside the water.
10. You need to speak the word of God against it and claim your benefits