- Giving Alms- Alms should be given to the needy secretly to be rewarded by God, not openly to receive the glory of men
– 4 – That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
- Fasting and Praying to God-Personal prayers should be said to God secretly, not in public places; also, your prayers should not be repetitive of words you have memorized, but a free expression of your thoughts to God
– 7 – But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
- Fast secretly-Don’t fast to be recognized by men, but by God. Let no man know you are fasting
– 16 – Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
- Seek God First- Seek after the things of the kingdom
– 20 – But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
- Love God, hate the love of money
– 24 – No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
- Have faith in God, trust Him. Don’t be anxious or apprehensive. Focus on your daily needs – 25 – Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?34 – Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
- Seek God first, and He will take care of your needs
– 33 – But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Commentary on the Lord’s prayer in Mathew 6
Mathew 6 also features the Lord prayer which is a pattern, guide, model and pattern for saying prayers. The Bible does not expect us to restrict our prayers to it, follow these steps to pray according to God’s will.
- Our Father which art in heaven – vs. 9
Start your prayers by acknowledging and recognizing the attributes of God, who you are directing your prayers.
- Hallowed be thy name –9
Next step is to Praise God, before presenting any request before him.
- Thy kingdom come –10
Pray for His will first, before your will. Intercede for the kingdom, the church, the ministry, evangelist, the mission work, before you start laying down your needs.
- Thy will be done in earth– 10
Pray and intercede for holiness and righteousness among all men in the world
- Give us this day our daily bread – vs. 11
Now you can start praying for your needs. Don’t pray for luxuries. Pray for only your daily needs.
- Forgive us our debt– 12
Confess your sins and pray for forgiveness of your sins.
- As we forgive our debtors – vs. 12
Don’t pray if you hold bitterness or grudge against anyone, otherwise your prayer will remain unanswered. Forgive those who offend you first before you come to the altar of prayer.
- Lead us not into temptation – vs. 13
Pray for grace to remain righteous and holy.
- Deliver us from evil – vs. 13
Resist the devil with prayers to wade off evils.
- For thine is the kingdom – vs. 13
Conclude your prayers by giving thanks to God, praising and worshiping Him for Who He is and for answered prayers.
By Babatope Babalobi: + 2348035897435 email@example.com
Whatsapp prayergroup: https://chat.whatsapp.com/invite/H0NY69sF2Xk5al80J5vdDI
App for BB phones: http://goo.gl/HJcXqF
App for Android phones/iOS: http://goo.gl/bwCKv3