By Babatope Babalobi
- A guy called me on the phone yesterday, a Saturday, asking for the address of any Sabbath church in Lagos, Nigeria. He said he worships on the Sabbath, but he has not found a Sabbath church to worship in Lagos.
- I asked him why he thought I was the right person to give him the information, and he said he read one of my articles online, which states that the Sabbath day is the biblical day of rest and worship. I further asked him did I specifically mention any day in the article as the Sabbath day? The caller did not respond. I asked him again in that my article, did I mention Saturday or Sunday as the Sabbath day? He did not respond and cut off the phone.
- I have gone through my earlier online article on the Sabbath day accessible here: https://christonline.wordpress.com/2013/07/18/when-is-sabbath-day-saturday-or-sunday/ when I said Saturday is ‘arguably’ the day of Sabbath, but I did not say it is the only day of worship.
- There is a related article I posted on: https://christonline.wordpress.com/2008/05/23/daily-bible-study-how-to-keep-the-sabbath-day-holy/…but the article is not my opinion but that of a church I fellowship. But the article only said Sunday is not regarded as the Sabbath by some people, the article did not state the Sabbath day, but enjoined readers to read this up in the Bible as an assignment.
- In other not to be misread and misinterpreted I will like to make some clarifications based on the scriptures below:
- Genesis 2 vs 2-3: By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.
- Exodus 20 vs 8- 10: Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labour and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns.
- Mark 2 vs 27: Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath’
- From the scriptures, above it is obvious that the seventh day- the Sabbath is a day of rest and worship.
- But nowhere in the Bible is any day -either Saturday or Sunday mentioned as the seventh day.
- The early and contemporary Jesus regarded and still regard Saturday as the seventh Day-Sabbath day/Lords day.
- Non-Jew Christians preferred to observe Sunday as the seventh day- Sabbath/Lord’s day from the fourth century. See a discussion of this in this link: http://www.christianbiblereference.org/faq_sabbath.htm
- But Jesus settled the matter by discouraging any form of legalistic righteousness. Jesus did not observe the Sabbath as the Jews did. Jesus worked on the Sabbath day, he performed miracles on the Sabbath day etc.
- Most importantly he said Christians should not allow themselves to be boxed into rules, and regulations about forms, times, or dates of worship, but worship God in truth and in the spirit.
- The Jews choose Saturday as Sabbath day, Gentiles choose Sundays as Sabbath day, if tomorrow another people choose a Monday as the Sabbath day of worship or rest, they have not committed a sin.
- It is not the day you choose to rest and worship God that matters, what matters is worshipping God in deed and in truth, not only or a particular day of Sabbath, but every day.
Babatope Babalobi firstname.lastname@example.org +2348035897435
App for BB phones: http://goo.gl/HJcXqF
App for Android phones/iOS: http://goo.gl/bwCKv3