There is hardly any marriage that does not have associated issues with mother and father in laws from both partners, but we need the wisdom of God and Christian heart to handle this. Genesis 2 vs 24, is one of the several biblical verses that should guide couples on how to handle in laws relationship
The key points from this passage are:
- They man (and the woman) should be physically separated from his/her parents. If you marry and you still work in your fathers business (unless he has substantially handed it over to you), and you still reside in your parents’ house, then you are not yet separated from them. Once you marry, inherited businesses should be completely handed over to you, your parents should not be your Boss or employer, be your own Boss or start your own business.
- To some extent, the man (and the woman) should be emotionally separated from your parents. Once you marry, your partner- wife or husband comes first before your parents. If you love your parents more than your spouse, or you put your parents first, above your spouse and immediate family, then there is a problem.
- The Bible says, you must leave your parents, and cleave to your wife. So think more of your wife more than your parents. Love your wife more than your parents. Don’t take instructions from your parents, take instructions from your husband or wife. Your parents should only advise you, not dictate to you how you should run your family.
- Your parents are in a separate family, once you marry you have also started your own family.
- Lastly, the bible says the couple shall become one flesh in thoughts, planning, decisions, etc. As such both couples should work towards togetherness, mutual understanding, and unity of purpose
My father and my God, give me a good husband or wife in Jesus name
I shall not marry my enemy in Jesus name
Fire of God, repair my marriage in Jesus name
Babatope Babalobi + 2348035897435 firstname.lastname@example.org
App for BB phones: http://goo.gl/HJcXqF
App for Android phones/iOS: http://goo.gl/bwCKv3