By Babatope Babalobi +2348035897435
The Bible says when men slept the enemy came Mathew 13 vs 25. To wade off the enemy, it therefore goes without saying you need to hold regular night vigils.
Follow these simple rules to hold a successful night vigil, otherwise you may find yourself unable to pray at night.
1. Choose the days you wish to pray at night as you cannot humanly observe night vigils daily, otherwise you will wear yourself out. One to three days , spread apart weekly is ideal. You need to sleep on some days as you can’t cheat nature.
2. Prepare for your vigil by sleeping for some time during the day. This will keep you awake at midnight.
3. Take your dinner early. Don’t eat heavily if you want to stay awake at night praying. Better still fast on your vigil days and break after your prayers.
4. Be in the spirit if you are planning to pray at night. You can’t be watching action movies in the evening and plan to pray at night. Don’t alow worldly issues to distract your night prayers.
5. Set your alarm clock to ring loudly at midnight otherwise you will most likely sleep off.
6. Study the scriptures you wish to stand on during your prayers, and be fully armed with the word of God
7. At night its best you stand up to pray. Lying on your bed or kneeling down may lead you to sleep. You are most likely not be able to doze off in a standing position.
8. The most critical period at night is between 12 noon and 1 pm. Holding vigil outside this hour is not as effective from my personal experience.
9. If possible have a prayer partner . Iron sharpens iron.
10. Don’t overwork yourself during the day if you wish to pray at night, otherwise you will doze off due to tiredness.