Read more articles at www.christonline.info
February 14, Valentine is here again. It is celebrated word wide yearly as Valentine’s days in memorial of Saint Valentine whose life was remarkable for its expression of love to fellow human beings.
Valentine’s Day has gained world wide prominence over the years and perhaps after the Christmas and Easter celebrations it is the next most celebrated occasions. Should Christians celebrate this day? May answer is Yes, and No.
Yes, if Christians intend to celebrate this day to express God’s love to one another. No, if such expression of love is in form of carnality, revellings and night clubbing.
There is nothing absolutely wrong in Christians celebrating a secular festival as long as this does not result in sinful activity. Some have argued that Saint Valentine’s Day has idolatrous origins and should be ignored by Christians. But the argument is that even December 25, a day celebrated as Christmas was originally marked as a pagan festival, but to the glory of God, it has been dedicated to the birth of Jesus Christ.
Genesis 1 vs. 5: ‘And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day’
So, February 14, itself is not an evil day. All days are created by God for its glory. If you are celebrating Valentine’s Day, ensure you celebrate it to the glory of God.
- Dedicate the day to God, and ask the Holy Spirit how you should celebrate it.
- Make new friends in your working places and schools.
- Appreciate your old friends by sending them gifts.
- Appreciate your parents and those that have helped you in one way or the other in life, be sending notes or gifts.
- If you need to go for a drink or food, ensure you are in good company and your safety is not compromised.
- Most importantly, refrain from any associations or acts that may cause you to sin. Either by what you drink, what you see, or where you go. Valentine’s Day is not meant for illicit sex. Discuss this over with your friend that you do not intend to have sexual relationship with him on this day and watch where you go, and whom you are with alone.